Popular Wood for local dog walkers.
Park in the forestry car park, Vedw Wood. It is on the north side of the minor road from Devauden to St Arvans, about 1.5 miles from Devauden and just after the
turning to The Cot.
Distance: 1.9 miles
Map: Explorer OL 14
Time:About 1 hour
Features Birds, Church, Flowers, Great Views
Fedw Wood and The Cot
Start Grid ref: ST505984
1. Walk from the parking area, passing a forestry barrier ahead of you. Ignore any
tracks off and keep to the forest road.
2. Maintain direction until the next waymark. Where the wide forest road bends sharp
right, go ahead on a narrower track and eventually reach a stile.
3. Go over the stile and follow the track down to a lane where there is a house down
to the left. For this walk bear right and continue to gain height up to a T-junction.
4. Turn left to follow this quiet country lane. There are views across to the Forest of
Dean to the right, as well as views to the west and the Welsh mountains. After gaining
a little more height the lane starts to lose height quickly and reach a cross-tracks.
5. There is a track to the right but for this walk turn left, signed to Devauden 2.5 miles.
The lane drops down gradually and crosses a stream before gaining height quickly.
Waymark 06 is just before the highest point.
6. Turn left up this track signed 'St Arvans 3.2km'. Soon pass a barrier and ignoring a
left turn, carry on ahead and eventually reach another barrier and the car park.Vedw