Walkers are Welcome (WaW) is a UK national scheme which awards WaW status to locations who actively support the local and visiting recreational walking community by designing, promoting and maintaining walking routes and activities. For more information about the WaW scheme click here.
Chepstow was awarded Walkers are Welcome status in 2012, coinciding with the launch of the Wales Coast Path which has it's southern terminus in the town. Close co-operation with local authorities is a key dependency to achieve WaW status, and we are delighted to have the direct support of both Chepstow Town Council and Monmouthshire County Council.
Our core activities are:
- organising and promoting an annual walking festival, consisting of guided walks, talks and other walk-related activities.
- developing, promoting and maintaining walking routes in Chepstow and the Lower Wye Valley, including a programme of regular guided walks.
- working with Chepstow Town Council, Monmouthshire County Council and the local walker-friendly business community to promote Chepstow as an ideal base for walking activities.
- ensuring that Chepstow continues to hold WaW status.
- working in partnership with other like-minded organisations such as The Ramblers, Walk for Health groups, Countryside Services, etc.
Chepstow Walkers are Welcome is a community group of volunteers operating under a formal constitution and coordinated by a Steering Group. New members are always welcome. We are funded by our main sponsors (including Chepstow Town Council), small grants and donations, sales of Walking Festival tickets and advertising subscriptions from our local walker-friendly business community. All the income received is re-invested into our core activities.
If you would like to get involved, or would like to become a sponsor or advertiser, please contact us.
Chepstow Walkers are Welcome Steering Group
HILARY PHILLIPS - Chair and Founder Member